Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In The Big Rock Candy Mountains

I took a tip from my Dad who had traveled these same roads on a bike trip he took with his brother Neil to make a stop at The Big Rock Candy Mountain. I couldn't believe this place existed! I thought it was just a neat little song. Well it may be hard to tell from the pictures but it really is pretty amazing to see. All sorts of different colors are on the mountain here, Reds, oranges, greens, yellows. My dad said it reminds him of a big bowl of ice cream. Here is a little info I found on Wikipedia about the Mountain

Shortly after the release of the song in 1928, some local residents, as a joke, placed a sign at the base of cluster of some brightly-colored hills a short distance north of Marysvale, Utah near Fishlake National Forest naming it “Big Rock Candy Mountain.” They also placed a sign next to a nearby spring proclaiming it “Lemon Springs.”

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kenner-Boy. Excellent pictures and monolog. I especially enjoyed the picture of the Virgin Jail, isn't Dan suppose to be on the inside? I kid, I kid, I kid cause I love.
    Hopefully you've got the "scooter adventure bug" out of your system but most likely the bug has burrowed even deeper into your cerebral carcass and you and your trusty side-kick are all ready hatching a new adventure.
    By the way, next time pack a pancho!
    Faja

    ReplyDelete